Monday, October 12, 2009

Batter Up...

I read 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Covey a few years back. I was impressed that he suggested that we need to have a motto/ theme for our family. So I have been on the outlook for one for my family. I have paid attention to families that seemed to run efficiently and had love in their home to see what they used. I have looked for a long time and finally I have found one. I brained stormed alot of ideas such as Kindness begins with me, Obedience is key, We are a serving family, No empty chairs. Just nothing hit the spot. Conference was coming and as I prepared for conference I had decided to listen specfifcally for a motto/theme for our family. In this past Conference Eyring used Please no empty chairs in one of his talks. I liked it because it was concrete. You can visualize every member of the family sitting in a chair. But it lacked something for our family. A few days later it hit me what our theme/motto would be. I coudn't wait to tell my husband. When I told him he said "That's it". Our theme/motto is "Step up to the plate". You see, we are a baseball family. This is concrete to my boys. It's something that they understand. It's meaning is vast. It can be applied to so many facets of our lives. It's meaning is to be the best we can be in all aspects of our lives. We presented the idea to our boys for FHE. We are a team. The prophet it our Coach. He will not let us loose. Jesus owns the team. He is rooting for us. All we have to do is make it all around the bases. First base is baptism. Second base is honorable mission. Third base is temple marriage and Home base is the Celestial Kingdom. It's all for one and one for all! Now... Let's play ball!!

2 comments:

The Payne Family said...

Jen, that is perfect! I love it! Way to go!

Kelly said...

That is so great!! I love the analogy.